Monday 29 March 2010

Task 3 - What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Audience feedback was vital for us as the producer/director to gain feedback to idea the audience have as after tall we are making the music video for them and if there is a large majority of people that dislike a certain area to the music video, we must change it.

My partner and I would share ideas with our friends and teachers to gather their thoughts on them as they could have other ideas that we might of not thought about. A way of gathering ideas and thoughts from third parties, we carried out some questionnaires asking them their thoughts on developments we might have or their view on different types of music videos as a whole. We would then analyse our results and make clear judgments to whether would should continue pursuing on a certain idea or not. An example of an idea that my partner and I had was the argument between a boy and a girl in the beginning whereby the camera would be from the point of each of each of them. The image below is an image of this idea:


This opening scene was inspired by the film 'cashback' - you can view more information on this here.

After producing a first draft of a storyboard, we showed it to our teacher however she was not impressed with what we had produced. We wanted to use the filming techniques used in Professor Green's video - Upper Clapton Dance. More about this video can be viewed here.

We wanted it so that the camera would be filming at a head angle and would be focusing on the characters face. This however did not include a variety of shots which is what our teacher had told us to do. We had to scrap that idea and start working on a new storyboard. We had proposed to do a questionnaire whereby we would hand it out to people who would be in our target market - more about this questionnaire can be found here.

After analysing the results of the audience feedback we came up with a new idea for the video. We decided that we would use the concept of having individual characters however each of their lives which link to everyone elses in some ways. We also wanted to use the theme of loneliness and depression which relates to the music track we had chosen.

We were also going to use the original idea we had whereby the boy and girl would be having an argument. From the audience feedback on the idea, we decided that we will also have them in black and white and the girl would slap him just like in the film cashback. You can see below how we implemented this idea into our music video:


Aswell as producing a music video, we also needed to produce a digipack which consisted of a website and an album cover. I gathered research before hand which can be viewed here.

This involved me looking at various album covers some related to the genre dubstep, others which are just creative and original. From there we then started to draw up some ideas for our website and covers, more information about this can be viewed here.

In relation to the website homepage, I had to wait to receive the results and answers from the digipack questionnaires I handed out. The website homepage however did not need to be similar to the album cover as we wanted each piece to be original in their own ways however if I implemented similar links between the two such as colour, it would make it easier for our audience to gain a strong and obvious connection between the two.

After getting the results and analysing them carefully, I could then start to add any adjustments to the digipack covers which might be appropriate. Follow this link which shows the 4 digipack covers that were shown to the people who took the questionnaire and the reasoning behind it. The feedback I received were all very positive. They all took on board my humour and logistics behind the covers and were overall very pleased with them. This then gave me an incentive onto how I would create the website.

After creating the digipack covers I moved onto the website creation. As Stenchman (our artist) sound is described as very dark and eary, I wanted the website to be very minimal so I made the background black. I also included an image of a bride who seems to be upset. I editied it so that everything around her was blurred except her face. I wanted to include this image as even though is seems very irrelevant its overal purpose was to show loneliness and depression however I feel I should of included an image of the front of the album cover.

After asking for ideas from a range of people, they stated I should include reviews into the page so I found relevant sources such as Rinse FM and the Guardian who represent dubstep very well to have a mock review of the track.

Lastly I included a short biography about Stenchman however the colours that I chose are those which can be identified with the rastafarian culture. This is because dubstep is actually a derived sound which actully links to dub which is a genre formed in Jamaica in the 80s. I felt that these colours are very bold and anyone viewing them would understand the reasoning behind them. You can view my website here.

The last bit of audience feedback I recieved was from the post production questionaire I handed out at the music video viewing - more about this can be viewed here.

This questionaire wasn't so much about how we could change the music video but more an overall perspective on it from the audience. We were very interested with what they would have to say and it would help us know where the flaws were in the music video and how we could improve.

In a case like mentioned above, it was vital that I got these results from the audience feedback otherwise I would have not have been able to create the website homepage. Audience feedback is very beneficial as it allows the producer and creator of the product to understand what their audience wants to see, hear and watch.